I finished up my "x" quilt top a few nights ago. I first blogged about it here. It is for my son and daughter-in-law. They recently got a queen sized bed, and asked for a queen sized quilt. It will finish at 96"x 96".
Here it is....
The official name of the block is Arkansas Crossroads. Rather than use 4 1/2" squares of brown for the x's, I decided to piece them. I do like how it turned out, but man, that is a lot of 2 1/2" squares. If I remember correctly, it's 2,880, total. That took a lot of cutting. I used up what I could of my 2 1/2 inch squares, but had to cut a bunch more.
I really got tired of sewing this. It's a big quilt. When I finally got it done, I was less than thrilled with it. But now it's a few days later, and I am liking it better.
I think maybe next time, i'll add a border. But this one is plenty big, so I won't be adding a border to it.
I am piecing the backing - it will be a huge 9 patch block, with each of the squares at 36".
I found the directions for this block here. It gives directions for making the block in different sizes. If you want to make your x's scrappy, you'll need to cut your browns (or whatever color you decide to make the "x") the same size as your 4 squares.
Anyhow, I hope to get it to the quilter in a few days.